Taking girls outside can be a fun time for everyone as girls develop outdoor skills and a passion for nature. To kick off the summer, we've put together some of our favorite outdoor activities to do in our area!
1. Go for a hike. We live in a hiker’s paradise! From quick and easy, to long and scenic, there are plenty of hikes for your troop to tackle that will challenge them and help them gain an appreciation for the beautiful sights to be seen. Check out some easy, kid-friendly hikes courtesy of our friends at Northern Nevada Moms.
2. Make a splash at Lake Tahoe. We've got one of the most beautiful alpine lakes in the country right in our backyard! Whether you're just going for a (chilly) swim, kayaking, paddlboarding, or sailing, you're sure to have a great time connecting with your inner water goddess. (Oh, and don't forget to be on the lookout for Tahoe Tessie!)
3. Become a Junior Naturalist. Girls can tap into their sense of wonder, mystery, and scientific discovery in nature through the Wilbur D. May Arboretum Junior Naturalist Program.
4. Soar through the trees. Face your fears, challenge yourself, and work as a team to get through the Ropes Challenge Course with our friends at Project Discovery.
5. Go camping. Camping is a Girl Scout staple, and no summer would be complete without it. There's still time to register for the fun programs at Camp Wasiu II, or plan your own camping adventure. Girls can learn how to pitch a tent, build a campfire, prepare and cook campfire meals (and s'mores, of course!), bask in the wilderness, and maybe even earn a badge or two.
Whether you’re a nature pro or just starting out, you can help girls of all ages have a positive experience in the great outdoors. Check out these videos and other resources to make getting outdoors even more rewarding for both girls and adults, and get outside!